Thursday, June 24, 2010

Finished daybed


Well, there it is in all of its glory. The little DIY I had posted about a couple of weeks ago. The project was very simple, a solid wood door from my husband, the large cushions were found and given a through cleaning, the hairpin legs were also found by my husband attached to a old warped piece of plywood. The back cushions were in my attic, I bought a couple of yards of unbleached muslin, I had the gray wool for the contrast welt on the back cushions, and after using some danish oil, I decided the color was too light, and bought a small can of walnut stain.
So, the total on that is about $10.
I'm happy with the finished project, and would recommend it to anyone in need of a couch, with a tight budget.
(my welting is getting a lot better, and with a few more projects, i'm sure I will be totally happy with it!)

3 comments:

  1. Don't remember how I found your blog but I totally love seeing all your projects. I am a fellow furniture collector. I am getting ready to attempt a re-upholstery project on my couch...which would require welting (which I have never done.) Do you have any tips on how to get it smooth and straight. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. da3bells, hey I'm glad you found me, and for welting all I can say is spend some time practicing, start with some easy pillows or cushions, and just give it a go. I wouldn't start with your couch, because by the end of the project you will be much better than when you started, and just remember you are always more critical of your own work, and even if its not perfect in the end, you will be happy that you did it your self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Thanks for the advice, I will start on another chair I have. Keep posting, I love seeing what you are working on!!

    ReplyDelete