Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Self-welt




This is the first time I've actually used welting on an upholstery project. I sew on a very average Brother sewing machine, and I first of all didn't feel it was capable of sewing that many layers together nicely, I also feel that welting eats up a lot of extra fabric cutting it on the bias.
Well, I decided that I needed to better my upholstery skills, and teach myself something new. It wasn't as hard as I thought, but it also wasn't as easy as it it could have been. I thought using some left over black fabric would be a great way to use up leftovers.
I started on the bottom cushion, and had a very hard time getting the welting as tight as I wanted it, and usually if I force my machine to do something it doesn't want to, it results in breaking something. For the next cushion, I decided to just go ahead and ride the welt with my sewing foot, and that did the trick. Since I have picked up a specialty foot for my machine, and I think at this point it is going to take some practice.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, i'm pretty proud even thought it is far from perfect, you have to start some where.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Please send me vibes to find this exact chair in brown wood. Thank you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I got this chair, it came with a mate in brown wood, I still have it! maybe greyhound can send it your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to be in STL in July! And I will of course need to have some quality time with you, your boy, and your scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect, i'm going to be in town in july! if your driving I have a chair I can send back with you!

    ReplyDelete