Secondhand Surplus

Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's not perfect, but neither am I

So I guess this is a little after and before since i uploaded the photos backwards.
Here is a cool Kodawood chair I picked up at an estate sale recently. I saw it in the posted pictures of the sale beforehand, and was super excited. I made it to the sale late on the first day,( People needing their hair done on a Saturday, the nerve) So when we finally made it there, I was sure the chair was gone.
So, there I am, baby strapped to the front of me, made my way very quickly through the house, with husband and 4 yr old to fend for them selves. Probably quite funny, the way they were trying to follow me around, and I was on a mission.
I get to the basement, and score, there it was, I was in luck.
Until I see the sticker price.
Really ? I find better things in the alley.... for free ? $85-
Stupid.
So, I go and find the people running the estate sale and tell them their price is ridiculous. But I want the chair, and if we could come to an agreement, I would treat the chair right. So, after agreeing on a price, and then begging my husband to let me bring home this rundown chair, and promising a finished picture of my newly redone chair to the estate sale folks, it was mine.
All of that means I had to get the chair finished, and quick.
So, this is it, its hard to tell from pictures, but its a nice wide chair, about 3ft wide. I still have some other things I want to do to the base( reapply veneer) but for now its sit-able. And I'm happy with how it turned out, and that's all that matters really.

3 comments:

  1. ugh. how do you haggle with estate sale people. they are so... SCARY!

    good job. it looks great. i've never seen that sort of chair before.

    emily
    www.adenverhomecompanion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haggle because I know what i can pay and what I can't, and It never hurts to ask.

      Delete
  2. Nice work! I love how wide the chair is. It has great presence and style.

    ReplyDelete