Secondhand Surplus

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

In the bedroom...




I have been wanting to take pictures of our master bedroom for awhile now. It proved very hard to photograph, and that is probably the reason I don't take pictures up there very often. It is a huge room compared to the size of our house and was originally two smaller bedrooms that someone had taken the dividing wall out of. The ceiling is low and sloped and creates a very cozy atmosphere.
We don't spend a whole lot of time upstairs besides for sleeping and I'm always trying to figure out what I can do to change that.
The first photo of our bed shows the reclaimed "headboard" my husband hung for us. The matching nightstands where picked up with the gentlemans' chest shown in the second photo. I have stacked my Hartmann suitcases on top to avoid them being used as a cat scratching post( which was witnessed at one point in the middle of the night).The third photo shows my most recent craislist find, a large piece of vintage fiber art.

The little table under it was originally an ottoman that i took apart and had a piece of soapstone cut to fit the walnut base.On top of the table sits a small white ceramic Frankoma panther that we purchased at the Frankoma studio on our way through Sapulpa OK to get married in Santa Fe.


I love this handmade pillow I picked up at an estate sale, I know I paid less that a dollar for it and its all hand embroidered. I think the design has a modern feel despite its actual age.
We also have space to have a full size sofa, which i thought my oldest would like to sleep on when he sneaks in our room in the middle of the night, but he prefers the sheepskin next to the bed.
I keep some of my favorite things in the bedroom in hopes of keeping them special, tucked away from the rest of the house.

9 comments:

  1. I'd love to have a bedroom that large. The wall hanging and the Frankoma piece are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! We are very lucky to have such a large bedroom, I may have to start hosting game night up there just so it's used more!

      Delete
  2. Your style is amazing... I am totally envious of your eye girl! :) Love the peaks into your home... Thank you for sharing them with us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It truly is a HUGE compliment to hear that someone likes my style, I'm not sure that everyone gets it. My home is my favorite place to be.

      Delete
    2. I know exactly how you feel. My style is so odd I feel like I have to warn people before they come over. I should just stop feeling weird about my house and embrace it! All of my friends have the "big box" feel to their houses, while I love their houses it just doesn't feel like home to me. I am always afraid they just won't get me. Oh well, here's to being less concerned what others think! :)

      Delete
  3. You have such excellent taste. I love those night stands- they are so classy and functional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I love the nightstands also, we have used a lot of different pieces of furniture up there and these have been my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not expecting the size of that bedroom! You are one lucky South City homeowner. We daren't go larger than a queen size bed in our little brick bungalow and then with the dog beds on the floor it makes for a narrow walking path. It looks gorgous and restful and you've filled it with great vintage finds. You could make the sitting area your "parlor" and entertain your lady friends there. Cheers - CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like the idea of a parlor! I also think if we had a master bath up there we would spend more time just hanging out

      Delete