Secondhand Surplus

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bench Press





Here are a few pictures of one of my new benches. I have wanted a slat bench and haven't been able to find one that I could afford, so this weekend when we found this old scaffolding for $5 we grabbed it and loaded it in the car.
I loved the worn weathered look of the wood, the drips of paint all over, and the fact that it was expandable. My husband said that his grandpa had a couple of these back in the day, and they were placed on the rungs between two ladders.
I started by sanding with fine grit sandpaper to remove the large flaky paint drips, and then finished with steel wool and Feed n' Wax, bees wax. I then purchased the hair pin legs at our local vintage store and pre-drilled holes and then used wood screws to attach the legs. I am pretty proud of my little bench, and the whole family loves it.
* I still need to take pictures of the cool bench I found in the alley, we are already using by the front door, and needless to say it has crap allover it right now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi hannah! I'm new to St. Louis and found your blog through apartment therapy. I love it! You are awesome at finding the best things. I also have a question: where did you purchase your hair pin legs? I've been wanting some to make a coffee table and did not know they were available locally.

    Thanks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete